Let’s Talk: Co-writing
Blog Post by Shadow Summit
So today I thought I’d discuss or talk about co-writing books or short stories or songs or poems, etc.
Now when I imagine two writers coming together to write I must admit I think it’s like this gif below. With two creative minds together making something beautiful. Daww, who wouldn’t want to co-write a book, am I right?!
Unfortunately it isn’t that easy. I have tried to write stories with several other writers in the past. Let’s just say it didn’t work out. Now I know there are several reasons that writing together doesn’t work out, so I’ll list only several reasons why sometimes it just doesn’t work out how we imagined.
THE NOT SO GOOD SIDE OF CO-WRITING
- Distance – Now this one I admit can be overcome, especially when both writers are as passionate about the project as each other. But time-zones or life can get in the way of communication and like everything communication is especially necessary when planning and writing a book with another person.
- The Inspiration Isn’t There – It’s hard thinking of ideas and when you both have to agree to something then it can be hard. Again this doesn’t apply to all situations but none of these points really do, so I’ll continue. You might even both be excited to start this new adventure but then it gets to the actual brain storm and there just isn’t anything that you can think of.
- Stressful Planning – Sometimes the plan is better in your head. Just think of all those stories that you’ve changed mid-book, mid-chapter, heck even mid-sentence, but then double it. Two people can have very different processes.
- Who Writes What – I’ve personally never gotten when it comes time to put pen to paper and plan together it can be difficult this far, but I’ve always wondered. Who writes what? I mean as a writer you plot, plan, write sentences upon sentences and then edit edit edit. I’ve heard of chapter by chapter work but I’ve always wondered.
- Different Styles – Now I haven’t decided yet if this is a blessing or a curse. I’m sure it depends. For example, put a horror writer and a religious writer and make them write romance… it’s probably not going to work well, or atleast not in my opinion. Everyone has their styles and genres of writing so it always helps when the other writer has similar interests. However I also think that different experience and thoughts can really be used to create something magical, something unique. It can also be a great learning experience.
I’m sure there are more but I’m not super experienced so I won’t try and make content on something I have no opinion or experience on. XD However I have several plus points too so I’ll list a few below as well.
THE AWESOME SIDE OF CO-WRITING
- Sharing the Experience – Being a writer can be lonely, but what if you were to share your journey with someone else. I personally love being part of the writing community online and there are plenty of fellow writers I follow and admire. If you co-write you get to dream together, plan together, use your two forces to get interest in your book (just saying) and learn from each other. This is a big plus.
- You learn from each other – I’ve mentioned this but I truly believe it. I’m always looking for ways to learn. I’ve learnt so much from other writers. It takes talent and creativity to write and unlike what most people tell you, not everyone can write. However if we never learn we never get better, and who better to learn from but friends in the same position or passion as you.
- Double the motivation – Motivation can be hard to come by, but if you both want it you are more likely to force each other through the hard times. There are hard times with every writing experience but sometimes you just need a little push from someone.
I really want to create a book with another writer one day and I’m sure I’ll be able to. There are hundreds of writers with the same fiery passion as me and I’d love to share that with someone.
What about you? Have you ever thought of writing with anther person? Have you already co-written a story? Because if so I’d love to hear about your experience.
As always, you are all AWESOME!!
~ ❤ ~ ~ ❤ ~